Saturday, October 18, 2008

STONER OUT OF TIME IN SEPANG



Saturday, 18 October 2008
Casey Stoner was unable to undertake a final flying lap as he chased pole position in Malaysia.
Last year´s racewinner in Sepang, Casey Stoner will start the Polini Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix from seventh on the grid after running out of time in qualifying. The Australian rider was just unable to put down his time before the session was declared closed, without the opportunity to fully use a third qualifying tyre.

Ducati teammate Marco Melandri placed fourteenth in the session.
Casey Stoner - Seventh

`The guys did a great job with the bike overnight and in the dry this morning it felt much better than it had done yesterday. My pace was good and I felt much more comfortable. We struggled a little bit in the afternoon because there wasn't enough weight on the rear but we didn´t really get much time to work on that because it dried out so quickly. In any case, the wet pace was pretty good so if it rains tomorrow, which looks likely, then I´m confident we'll have a good set-up. Unfortunately qualifying was a bit of a lottery with the way the track dried out and we missed the chequered flag with my final qualifying tyre by just twenty seconds, so that was frustrating. Anyway, the most important thing is that we´re in good shape for wet or dry conditions so I'm looking forward to going out and having some fun in the race.´

Marco Melandri - Fourteenth

`The conditions today were a little strange but in the end the track was dry so I can´t blame that for my fourteenth place. I know I´m repeating myself but I don´t have any feeling with the bike in these conditions and that´s despite doing a good job with my team on the set-up here. It is going to make it difficult tomorrow, especially with such tough conditions that we always have to deal with here in Malaysia.

No comments: